Sunburned cactus: How to treat and prevent sunburn in this succulent plant
A sunburned cactus is nothing more than a cactus with a little too much sun exposure. However, it can be caused by other things as well, like environment or soil quality.
Cacti are plants found in warm climates, specifically ones where it is hot and dry for most of the year. They have thick skins which act as their insulation against heat and cold. And large spiky needles act as their defense against predators, who cannot eat through them because they’re too hard on their stomachs. Desert plants survive in areas with little moisture, so they have adapted to only need water every few weeks.
- A sunburn is a form of damage from overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The UV radiation can be from the sun or artificial UV light sources.
- Cactus get sunburned due to being exposed to too much sunlight which makes them vulnerable to fire.
The most common cause of sunburn is overexposure to full sun. Some plants experience sunburn after being in the sun for only a few minutes, while others need to be outside for hours before their skin becomes burned.
Common Cactus plant
Cacti and succulents are trendy among landscapers and gardeners for their drought-resistant properties. But, unfortunately, they are also well-known for their sunburns.
In this article, we will help you identify the different prickly pear cactus species that you might encounter in your garden or on a desert safari.
There are three main types of prickly pears: the common prickly pear, the beavertail cactus, and the cholla cactus. The common prickly pear is the most widespread. It has flat, oval-shaped pads with serrated edges and grows up to 36 inches tall. The beavertail cactus has narrow ribs that form a semicircular shape that ends in a bulb and grows two feet tall. Finally, the cholla cactus grows up to five feet tall and consists of many jointed segments. Prickly pears are described as having thorns, which are described as sharp-pointed projections and are native to hot, dry climates.
Care for Sunburned Cactus or Prickly Pear Plan.
There are a few simple things you should do to care for your sunburned cactus. The first thing is watering your plant. It would be best if you watered it about once a week. It’s important not to overwater because this can lead to root rot and make your plant unhealthy. The second thing is sunlight. You should place your plant in direct sunlight as often as possible, but only outdoors in the summer months – be sure that the temperature outside is above 55 degrees Fahrenheit before placing it outside, and cover it at night if there’s a chance of frost.
Finally, be sure to fertilize your plant once every two weeks with one tablespoon of organic fertilizer mixed with water. This will help provide your plant with essential nutrients and will ensure that it stays healthy and robust.
Three main factors cause the sunburned appearance: dryness, too much light intensity, or too much or too little water. If you notice any of these factors affecting your cacti – your solution might be as simple as applying an appropriate amount of water to the soil.
Uses and Benefits of this succulent.
Sunburned cacti are often used to deter animals in the desert by causing them discomfort when they touch the plant.
Sunburnt cactus is also used for cooking. The plant’s fruit can be cooked in a stew or eaten raw with salt and vinegar, similar to an olive. Another use for sunburnt cacti is to make clothing out of them. The fiber can be softened with boiling water and then woven into a fabric (more Processing involved).
Ways To Prevent Sunburn Cactus
Even though cacti are desert plants, they still need protection from the sun. So you can either move your cactus to a shadier spot, or you can use some of these tips to help it survive.
- Water your plants early in the morning or at dusk instead of midday when the sun is strongest
- Place a tree, umbrella, or another plant over your plants to shield them from sunlight
- Create a more humid environment with the use of a humidifier or by placing a pot on top of a tray filled with water
- Place pots with plants on top of pedestals so they are raised above ground level, which will protect them from light and sun damage
- If you have more than one pot with plants on it, alternate between which pot is on
How to Save a Sunburned Cactus Plant.
The cacti can create an excellent aesthetic for your outdoor garden. They are also seen as the perfect low-maintenance house plant. But there are some steps you need to take for your cacti to get ready for the great outdoors so that they stay healthy and happy.
- When picking out a pot, make sure it has good drainage in the bottom of it. This will prevent rotting in water in the soil that puddles around in the pot.
- The Moisture content of soil should be 50% or less; this will prevent overwatering, which can lead to rotting in plants.
- Plants need a thermal protection system to be able to survive in any environment.
- Plants are the most abundant life form on earth, with complex systems constantly adapting to their surroundings. They can be found in nearly every ecosystem and take up a large
Conclusion: How You Can Help Your Plant Survive When It Gets Too Much Heat Or Sunshine. Plants need sunlight to thrive, but sometimes they can’t handle too much. It’s essential to know how to care for your plant in these situations. A plant can survive in a sunny area, but it will need some help to do so. Ensure that the plant is in a shaded or darker area and that the soil is moist. If the plant gets too much sun.